Monday 28th February/ Tuesday 29th February, 1944

Alec’s diary continues:


Caught 9.10 a.m. for Bristol. Met Kay on Clevedon platform with same until Nailsea. Had coffee on No. 7 then caught 10.25 a.m. Nothing startling on trip. Train arrived 3.20 p.m. Dumped bag and went for meal. Limited in when I returned to station so went over to hotel. John left note saying gone to Millbay. Followed on next bus and met Mr Rendle who is taking record at Laira and Mr Harding. Had trip back to hotel to see if Chas had arrived. Picked John up outside Theatre at 5.30 p.m. then went to Gaumont to see Sweet Rosie O’Grady with Betty Grable. Had supper in the Lord John Malcolm*. Returned to Hotel at 9.30 p.m. No Chas. Turned in at 10.45 p.m.

*I’ve done a bit of Googling but so far failed to turn up any establishment in Plymouth by this or a similar name. I’ll keep searching.



Got up at 7.0 a.m. not ready for me so no breakfast till 7.40 a.m. Left at 8.0 a.m. arrived Laira at 8.15 a.m. in time to take 8.20 a.m. Launceston. (Chas arrived 12.30 a.m. missed connection at Bristol Midland train 2 hours late.) Chas and John took walk out to Laira in morning to get lie of the land. Not much doing. Went up to Bakery at 12.30 p.m. got some good pies and buns and returned to Yard. Inspector Ede gave us a cup of tea as big as a bucket. John turned up at 3.50 p.m.

Back to Hotel for a wash and shave then to lounge to write. Chas agitating for a meal so took him to the Lord John Malcolm. Meal cost 4/6d each. Mixed grill, lamb chop, sausage chips and beans. Back to hotel at 7.30 p.m. talked till 8.45 p.m. Hustled Chas out to Laira and waited for John to turn up. He arrived at 9.15 p.m. Bed at 10.30 p.m. No siren.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s